Oatmeal Breakfast Bars for loads of energy
Are you always looking for new breakfast ideas that are quick, easy nutritious and loaded with energy? Here is something that you can prep before the busy week starts. On-the-go grab and eat breakfast for the whole family. These Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are a healthy, filling and absolutely delicious! Why not experiment with this recipe and try incorporating different fruit or flavours? They are easy to make, can be frozen for up to four months.
Serves: 8 large bars | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 45 min
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons honey*
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 medium banana, quartered and diced
- Place rack in the center and heat oven to 190°C. Lightly coat a 20 × 20cm square pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a separate large bowl, combine the milk, applesauce, egg, honey, peanut butter and vanilla.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and stir to combine. The batter will be very wet. Fold in the diced banana, then pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until thickened and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool, cut into bars and serve.
*As the recipe is written, these bars are very lightly sweet. If you prefer a sweeter bar, increase the honey to 4-5 tablespoons.
Storage: Once cooled, bars can be wrapped individually in plastic and kept in the refrigerator for 5 days or frozen in a zip-top bag for up to 4 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours before serving. For a larger yield, increase the ingredient quantities by 1.5 and bake in a 22 × 30cm pan for 25-30 minutes.
Recipe Credit: https://www.wellplated.com/oatmeal-breakfast-bars/